We want you to feel comfortable and safe using our site. Please read this carefully.
Created July, 2013. No previous versions are available.
We want you to be clear how we’re storing and using information.
Information we collect
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us. When you sign up for an i.treatsafely account we’ll ask for personal information like your name, email address, profession, and location.
- Information we get from your use of our Website. We may collect information about how you use i.treatsafely, like how many and which videos you watch, the answers to any quizzes that you take, any video series that you assemble, comments or questions that you post to i.treatsafely, and which equipment you’re most interested in. This information helps us improve your user experience by allowing us to suggest videos that you might be interested in. We also collect:
- Log information
- When you use our services or view content provided by TreatSafely, LLC, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your i.treatsafely account.
- Cookies and anonymous identifiers
We use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit i.treatsafely.org, and this may include sending one or more cookies or anonymous to your device.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, protect and improve i.treatsafely, to develop new services, and to protect TreatSafely, LLC and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant search results and ads.
When you contact TreatSafely, LLC, we may keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services.
i.treatsafely is hosted on Google App Engine and stores data on Google’s Datastore. This means that personal information is stored on Google’s servers in many countries around the world and that your personal information may be processed on a server located outside the country where you live.
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- Review and control certain types of information tied to your i.treatsafely account by using Your Settings page.
- Delete your i.treatsafely account and all of its associated information.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that some of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
Information you share
i.treatsafely lets you share information with others through comment and question posts. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use i.treatsafely, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of TreatSafely, LLC unless one of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent. We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of TreatSafely, LLC when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any personal information.
- For legal reasons. We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of TreatSafely, LLC if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of TreatSafely, LLC, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect TreatSafely, LLC and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt our site using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to TreatSafely, LLC employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.